Monday, June 10, 2013

An Introduction to my Story: Life at Westminster College in Salt Lake City

Hello! I'm Shianne (pronounced like the capital of Wyoming), the newest Westminster student blogger. I can't wait to start chronicling my adventures at Westminster (and they are many). But since it's summer now and there isn't as much happening on campus, I'll start with some introduction!

A little bit about me...
I just finished my sophomore year at Westmini, and recently decided, after changing my mind five times in the last two years (more on that later), to declare a theatre arts major. I am so happy with my choice, and I am looking forward to my fall schedule more than ever! Still, after a hectic semester of classes, work, and rehearsals for our spring musical, Curtains, and our May Term show, In the Next Room, it's nice to take some time off and enjoy the summer.

The next few months for me will involve settling in to a new house, cooking, decorating, visiting my family's new house in Seattle, working in the admissions office, and stage managing The Merry Wives of Windsor with my friend's company. Oh, and blogging here! It's my first summer in Salt Lake (since I went home to Colorado Springs last year) and I am already loving the weather and all that the city has to offer.

My Westminster story
I want to end this post by telling the story of how I came to Westminster, starting about three years ago (wow, has it really been that long?) at the beginning of my senior year of high school. I was fed up with the college search, since there didn't seem to be a school in existence that had everything I wanted: small and close-knit, with lots of different programs, and a fun, laid-back atmosphere.

Around August of 2010, I got a letter in the mail saying I was a National Merit semi-finalist. I had no idea what this meant. I threw the letter away and promptly forgot about it. Not long afterward, though, I got another letter, this time from Westminster. They offered me a four-year, half-tuition scholarship for being a National Merit semi-finalist. Something about the materials they sent piqued my interest, and after poring over Westminster's website, I realized I might have found what I was looking for. My mom and I planned a trip to visit Salt Lake in October that year.

On the plane ride there, I had a wonderfully serendipitous experienceI happened to sit next to a Westminster senior who was on the way back from representing the college at a conference. We talked non-stop for the hour-long flight about all that Westminster had to offershe told me about the Honors program, her research experiences as an English major, and her semester abroad. My campus tour the next day made my decision even more apparent. I applied for admission and was accepted within a couple of weeks. In the spring, I applied and was accepted into the Honors program. After visiting campus once more for Admitted Students Day, I knew I had found my home for the next four years.

What about you?
If you are considering Westminster, I would love to answer any and all questions you might have. I love talking to prospective students! I'm especially happy to talk about the Theatre department and the Honors programmy two favorite parts of life at Westminster. Feel free to comment or send me an email: sag0115@westminstercollege.edu

Thanks for reading!



3 comments: